Indonesia: Warning issued over ‘dragon’s breath’ viral video trend


Indonesia is warning individuals in opposition to consuming liquid nitrogen after greater than 20 youngsters have been harmed consuming a avenue snack referred to as “dragon’s breath” that’s on the heart of a harmful new viral video development.

The kids suffered burns to their pores and skin, extreme abdomen pains and meals poisoning after consuming the colourful candies, in response to Indonesia’s Ministry of Well being, which is urging dad and mom, lecturers and native well being authorities to be vigilant.

The candies are dipped in liquid nitrogen to create a vapor impact when eaten. They’re standard with youngsters, dozens of whom have uploaded clips to short-form video app TikTok exhibiting them blowing the fumes out of their mouths, noses and ears. One video exhibiting the preparation of the snack by a avenue vendor has been considered near 10 million instances.

Round 25 youngsters have been harm consuming the candies, together with two who have been hospitalized, stated the ministry’s director normal Maxi Rein Rondonuwu. No deaths have been reported.

Utilizing liquid nitrogen in meals preparation isn’t unlawful. Prime cooks typically use the vapors to create theatrical results when serving dishes. It’s clear, colorless and odorless, and generally utilized in medical settings and as an ingredient to freeze meals.

Nevertheless, when not used correctly, it may be hazardous.

”Liquid nitrogen isn’t solely harmful when consumed, it may possibly trigger extreme respiratory difficulties from nitrogen fumes which might be inhaled over a very long time,” Maxi stated.

The primary case was reported in July 2022, in response to the ministry, when a baby from a village within the Ponorogo Regency in East Java suffered chilly burns on his pores and skin after consuming the snack.

Extra circumstances have been reported in November and December, together with a 4-year-old boy who was admitted to hospital within the capital Jakarta with extreme abdomen ache.

“Faculties should educate youngsters locally in regards to the risks of liquid nitrogen in meals (to) stop extra circumstances of extreme meals poisoning,” Maxi stated.

In 2018, the US Meals and Drug Administration (FDA) issued security alerts warning that critical damage might consequence from consuming meals like ice cream, cereal or cocktails ready with liquid nitrogen.

“Accidents have occurred from dealing with or consuming merchandise ready by including liquid nitrogen instantly earlier than consumption, even after the liquid nitrogen has totally evaporated because of the extraordinarily low temperature of the meals,” the FDA stated.

“This can be a hazardous chemical compound,” stated Clarence Yeo, a Singapore-based physician. “It irritates the abdomen and might trigger burns within the mouth and esophagus. Youngsters could be particularly delicate to (its results) whether it is eaten in giant quantities.”

Yeo warned he “wouldn’t advise anybody to eat it.”

“You may find yourself in hospital and the worst case state of affairs might be organ harm,” he stated.

Posted by :


Halo, Saya adalah penulis artikel dengan judul Indonesia: Warning issued over ‘dragon’s breath’ viral video trend yang dipublish pada January 20, 2023 di website Enchantress Magazine

Artikel Terkait

Leave a Comment